I’ve been reading cards professionally for about ten years, and it’s taken me that long to learn to set a few boundaries within my business. Theresa Reed has helped. Let me tell you, if that woman tells you to raise your rates, you raise your damn rates. Other professionals and friends in the business have shown me the best way to run my metaphysical business like an actual legit business. We can’t pay the bills with good karma, right? We can’t do strong work if we’re compromising our self care. All of our boundaries and needs will be different, but here are some basics that I think we all need to stick with.
- Set business hours and don’t waive them. Self-care is incredibly important in this field.
- Don’t work for nothing UNLESS it will pay off for you. Some exposure is crap. Some exposure will get you more work down the line. Decide for yourself and don’t be afraid to say NO.
- Don’t be apologetic about the nature of our work. We tend to the spiritual and emotional health of our clients. Don’t frame this work in ways that make it insignificant for other’s comfort.
- Get paid up front. It will save you time and help you get the commitment from your clients that you need.
- Support your community. There is room for all of us, and plagiarism and back-biting only makes you look small.
- Be authentic. In your work. In your advertising. In your branding. Be authentic.
- Remember that your work is for the greater good. You have all of these tools – reiki, stones, decks, incense and candles – all of these tools that you can use to help you keep your head on straight and focus on your client and yourself. Don’t fuck it up. Remember – An it harm none, do what ye will.