I got an email a while back from a woman who said she’d just booked her first party and she was SO freakin excited. i was excited for her. I remember my first parties and how nervous I was and how i didn’t know what the heck i was doing. So I wrote her back something like this
Hey! That’s so great! Have so much fun and don’t forget:
- Charge for travel time and get payment in advance.
- Bring a box of mints, a bottle of water, a backup deck, some hand wipes or antibac stuff, some almonds for a snack and a phone charger. Don’t forget business cards!
- Make sure someone knows where you are, and call that person when you’re on your way home.
- You can ask to be moved away from the speakers, the bathrooms or the kitchen. You get to take breaks. It’s ok to go to the bathroom.
- If someone makes you uncomfortable, you can absolutely refuse to read for them.
- Benebell Wen published this awesome contract example – maybe give this a look, too.
- You don’t have to listen to people talk shit about what you’re doing or about you. You’re working. People don’t get to fuck with you when you’re working.
- DO NOT let people put their drinks on your table. Trust Auntie Mama on this one.
- Have fun, but do not drink or do the drugs, kids. You’re working.
- Put out a tip jar. You never know.
Have fun, kiddo. I loved doing parties and I know you’re going to make me proud. Go kick some ass.